In the world of marketing, there are constantly new things, and you have to pay attention to the trends in the sector. It is the way to ensure that the strategies carried out are up to date and will adequately reach potential clients.
According to professionals in the sector, it is necessary to see the marketing statistics of the moment to be at the forefront.
So, if you are looking for the main marketing trends and statistics, I will share them with you in this article.
Staying up to date with the latest marketing trends is key to your marketing strategy, both offline and online. In this article, I summarize the main statistics that HubSpot shows in its “State of Marketing” study, don’t miss it!
Marketing statistics for search engine optimization or SEO
SEO positioning is essential to obtain visibility in search engines, so having it well worked out and being up to date with what works and what you can do is essential. It will help you increase organic search traffic and drive conversions to your website.
- Nearly 64% of marketers spend time on SEO.
- A few descriptive texts on the web page are ideal for ranking well.
- Marketers optimize mobile performance – This helps them improve web performance.
- 49 % of users say they use Google to discover or find a new product or item.
- The average Click Through Rate (CTR) on image results on Google is 0.21%, but it varies widely by industry.
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
- Do you know the importance of the first 5 seconds when loading a page? They are more important than it seems: they significantly impact conversion rates. In fact, on average, conversion rates drop by 4.42% for every extra second.
- In a Databox survey, 70% of participants said that SEO is better than PPC for generating sales.
- Only 17% of marketers A/B test landing pages to improve conversion rates.
- The least used type of subscription model, Landing pages generate the highest conversion rate (23%). We can’t forget popup forms either. They are the most used modality and develop a low conversion rate (3%).
- B2C e-commerce reached 26.7 trillion dollars globally.
- 51% of surveyed shoppers say they use Google to find information about a purchase they plan to make online.
- According to a 2019 study, search traffic generated 65% of total eCommerce sessions, with 33% generated through organic search and 32% through paid search.
- 59% of surveyed shoppers consider mobile shopping an important factor when deciding on a brand or supplier.
- Searches for activities on the same day or in the user’s vicinity increased by more than 900% over two years.
- Over two years, mobile device searches for businesses open at the time of examination and close to the user increased by more than 200%.
- 46% of surveyed shoppers check online for availability before going to the store to buy.
- 70% of shoppers surveyed consider the possibility of buying in person or store an important factor when deciding on a brand or supplier.
Search on mobile devices
- Until 2019, mobile devices (except tablets) generated almost half of the global website traffic.
- 60% of smartphone users have contacted a business directly from search results (for example, using click-to-call).
- About 25% of companies invest in mobile optimization as their primary SEO tactic.
- 39% of smartphone users indicate that they are more likely to browse or buy in a company or brand’s mobile app because it is easier or faster.
- 65% of users between the ages of 25 and 49 give voice commands to their devices at least once a day.
- According to OC&C, by 2022, spending through voice commerce will be $40 billion in the US and $5 billion in the UK.
Content Marketing Statistics
If you’re working on an inbound marketing strategy, you know that content is king, so you have a content marketing strategy.
The content allows us to create articles, downloadable, visual, etc., with relevance for the user and adding value. Thanks to the contents, you position yourself in search engines, get registrations and sales, and make yourself known.
Let’s look at the marketing stats for the top types of content today.
- Content marketing is key for marketers: 70% of them actively invest in this strategy.
- 78% of companies have a team of 1-3 content specialists.
- One of the two most common metrics to measure whether a marketing campaign is successful is web traffic.
- The other key metric is total sales.
- 24% of professionals considered increasing their investment in content marketing in 2020.
- Marketers create content based on the multiple segments they study (typically three).
- Content marketing is key in the strategy, according to 40% of marketers.
- 77% of companies say they have a content marketing strategy.
- Social networks are key for 94% of marketers to distribute content.
- One of the top three media used in marketing strategies is blogs.
- 73% of readers admit to blogging posts, and only 27% perusing them.
- Companies spend 46% of their budget on content creation.
- 83% of traffic to marketing blogs comes from desktops.
- The primary source of traffic that blogs receive in any industry is the search itself.
- The best-performing articles contain more than 5,700 words.
- Articles with more than 3,000 words receive three times more traffic, 3.5 times more external links, and 4times more shares than shorter posts.
- Posts that contain lists or bullet points are shared twice as often as those that do not.
- Updating outdated or old content has turned out to be very efficient. So much so that 51% of companies perform this update.
- Organic traffic is the most used metric to measure the success of content, according to 67% of companies.
- 86% of companies produce more blog content than other formats.
- Video is the king of content marketing: it is already the most popular format, even above blog posts or infographics.
- The most common videos created by marketers are promotional videos and stories.
- Video is used by 87% of marketers to increase web traffic.
- According to 80% of marketers, using videos leads to increased sales.
- Google no longer only shows text in its searches: it has also gone on to add images, podcasts, and videos.
- There are 30 million podcast episodes available.
- Worldwide monthly podcast consumption is 37%.
Email marketing and automation statistics
Email marketing continues to be one of the most used and effective tactics in the sector. Contrary to what many people think, email marketing is not dead: quite the opposite!
You will discover how other companies use email to maximize ROI and connect with customers with the following statistics.
Use of email
- Approximately 80% of marketers saw increased email interactions in the last 12 months.
- In 2019, the number of global email users was 3.9 billion.
- It is estimated that there will be 4.48 billion global email users in 2024.
- In a study of 1,000 small business owners, email marketing was the second most effective means of building brand awareness.
- Small businesses benefit most from email marketing strategies since it generates a higher return on investment.
- Tuesdays are an important day to send emails: for one thing, they have the highest open rates. On the other hand, it is also the day on which subscriptions are canceled.
- 79.6%: This is the deliverability of email providers.
- 21% of email opens between 9 am and noon.
- One of the improvements in the performance of email marketing campaigns is the personalization of messages.
- 35% of marketers choose to send between 3 and 5 emails per week to their clients.
- The email most used by marketers is promotional emails.
- Almost 10% of organizations with more than 1,000 employees achieve CTR rates greater than 15%.
- When it comes to automation, confirming an order has the highest open (64.4%) and click (18.1%) rates, but retrieving a shopping cart has the best order rate ( 2.4%).
- Over 20% of surveyed marketers say email design improves email engagement.
- The average number of characters in the subject of an email is 43.85.
- Companies that complete A/B tests for each email experience a 37% higher email marketing ROI.
- Consumers open emails with personalized subjects 50% more. Only 2% of emails include personalization.
- A series of three emails perform better than a single email: 90% more orders thanks to welcome emails, 63% more thanks to abandoned cart reminder emails, and 75% more thanks to customer reactivation.
- Marketers in the medical, retail, and tourism industries should avoid using the word “free” in subject lines, although that term could benefit entertainment and food industry marketers.
- Segmented email campaigns have 14.31% higher open rates than those without segmentation.
- Nearly 30% of marketers surveyed use audience segmentation tactics to improve email engagement.
- Email campaigns segmented by user interest have a 74.53% higher open rate than those that do not include segmentation.
- Globally, segmented email campaigns have a 100.95% higher CTR rate than those that do not include segmentation.
Emails for mobile devices
- The second most used action by marketing professionals to improve the performance of an email marketing campaign is optimizing email for mobile devices.
- In 2018, almost 50% of all marketing emails were opened on mobile devices.
- Of all emails opened on mobile devices, 66% are read for more than 8 seconds.
- 40% of people aged 18 and under always open emails first on their mobile devices.
- An exciting figure: who opens an email from a mobile and then opens it from a PC has a 65% chance of clicking.
- About 25% of people who open an email on a mobile device will open it again: 70% will open it again on the same computer, and 30% will open it somewhere else.
- One of the three actions marketers use most is email automation campaigns.
- Currently, 67% of marketing leaders use an automation platform.
- Marketing automation is forecast to grow 31% over the previous year.
- Among companies that automate marketing, 23% do so with content delivery.
- 20% of marketers use automated email marketing campaigns.
- According to 70% of companies, automation is key to improving segmented communication with their customers.
Social Media Statistics
Social networks are also a key factor in any digital marketing strategy. They have billions of users worldwide, so the opportunity to be visible to our audience is excellent.
Let’s see what the statistics say about the use that companies make of their social networks to improve the reach, capture, and results in general.
Social media management
- As of 2019, 69% of social media specialists said they want to use Instagram more in the future.
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are the most used social networks in marketing.
- Marketers practice listening as the main tactic in their strategies.
- According to marketing professionals worldwide, social networks have a clear advantage: generating greater exposure.
- The main reasons why marketers use social networks are that they see increased traffic, improved lead generation, and greater customer loyalty.
- Marketers typically post to networks 3-4 times weekly.
- According to a Hootsuite study of organizations of all industries and sizes, businesses tend to share about 80% of all their social media posts (across all platforms) equally from Monday to Friday.
- Companies post on Instagram and LinkedIn during business hours.
- Companies tend to use Instagram and Facebook to promote multimedia content (90% or 100%). At the same time, only a third of their posts on Twitter and LinkedIn contain this type of content.
- The curve on social publishing by companies is bell-shaped: little activity first thing in the morning and more content during business hours. At night, little activity again (Hootsuite, 2017).
- Until the first quarter of 2020, there were 2.6 billion active Facebook users each month.
- More than 80 million SMEs use Facebook’s commercial tools available for free.
- Facebook is the main content distribution channel.
- Small businesses worldwide are connected to more than 1.6 billion people.
- 18% of marketers currently use Facebook groups.
- In April 2020, more than 98% of active Facebook users worldwide accessed the social network from a mobile phone.
- 79% of marketers use Facebook as a marketing channel to post videos.
- Two-thirds of the Instagram audience are people aged 34 or younger as of April 2020.
- As of April 2020, 35% of global Instagram audiences were 25-34-year-olds.
- According to marketers, Instagram is the social network with the highest ROI.
- 28% of marketers planned to include Instagram TV in their video marketing strategies in 2020.
- The brands had 3.7 million posts made by sponsored Instagram.
- One hundred sixty-six million people connect and actively participate on Twitter every day.
- Twitter allows you to generate the highest ROI after Facebook and Instagram.
- In 2019, Twitter generated 87% of its revenue from advertising services.
- The Twitter audience in the US is made up of two very different age groups: a group between 25 and 34 years old and another between 55 and 64.
- 38% of marketers planned to include Twitter in their video marketing strategies in 2020.
- 83% of marketers who have used YouTube say they found it compelling.
- After Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, YouTube is the fourth most used social network by marketers.
- 88% of professionals said they planned to use YouTube in 2020.
- More than 2 billion registered users visit YouTube every month, and people watch more than a billion hours of video every day, generating billions of views.
- Comparing 2019 vs. 2010, the year’s best videos were 9.5 times longer in length.
- The content of a video related to their interests is 3 times more important for a user if it includes a celebrity. On the other hand, it increases by 1.6 times more if, in addition, the video has professional production quality.
- Between 2017 and 2018, the viewing time of YouTube videos about which product to buy doubled.
- After Facebook, LinkedIn is the second most popular platform among B2-B marketers.
- According to a 2020 survey, women make up 43% of LinkedIn’s audience member base, and men make up 57%.
- According to data from 2019, after email and telephone (via call or SMS), LinkedIn’s internal email, InMail, was the third most-used channel to contact job candidates globally.
- In 2019, over 87% of LinkedIn marketers described the platform as the most effective video marketing channel.
- In a 2019 survey, 66% of professionals planned to include LinkedIn in their video marketing strategies in 2020.
- Pinterest has 367 million active users per month (data from the first quarter of 2020).
- In a survey, 25% of social media marketers at B2B companies said they use Pinterest to target their audience.
- In a survey, 30% of social media marketers at B2C companies said they use Pinterest to target their audience.
- In February 2017, 250 million searches were using Pinterest Lens. A year later, there was a 140% increase, with 600 million visual searches.
Videos on social networks
- By 2020, 15% of professionals planned to include 360-degree videos in their video marketing strategies.
- In a 2019 survey, 15% of professionals said they planned to include TikTok in their video marketing strategies in 2020.
- Someone is twice as likely to share a video with a friend as any other type of content.
- In 2019, 59% of non-video marketers said they wanted to start using video as a marketing tool in 2020.
- In 2020, marketers used social media engagement videos as one of the four most common video types.
- Video is the second most used content on social media to increase audience engagement.
- Live video is the third most used action by network marketers.
- YouTube and Facebook are the most used platforms among specialized video marketers (used by 85% and 79%, respectively).
- 93% of brands won a new customer thanks to a video on social media.
- 92% of marketers surveyed say that video is an important part of their marketing strategy.
Online inbound advertising statistics
- Mobile advertising has grown very fast in recent years, but growth is expected to slow to around 9.9% by 2022.
- According to forecasts, in 2022, there will be an investment of 280 billion dollars in advertising spending on mobile devices.
- In 2019, mobile ad spending was $190 billion worldwide.
- Messaging, videos, and maps are the most popular mobile-first activities worldwide.
Pay Per Click (PPC) Advertising
- In the legal industry, the average CPC (cost per click) is $6.46, and the highest CPC is 1,090.
- In the medical industry, the average CPC (cost per click) is $2.62, and the most expensive CPC is $90.
- The average CPC (cost per click) is 3.33 USD in the marketing industry, and the most expensive CPC is 165.
- In the software industry, the average CPC (cost per click) is $3.80, and the most expensive CPC is $95.
- The average CPC (cost per click) is 2.37 USD in the real estate industry, and the most expensive CPC is 95.
- In the home improvement industry, the average CPC (cost per click) is $6.40, and the most expensive CPC is 320.
- Posts with photos and images are the most used content to improve interaction with the audience.
- 68% of marketers say that Social Paid Ads, or paid advertising, are “very” or “essential” to their strategy.
- Advertisers use ad placement and targeting as the main optimization tactics.
- 33% of marketers use paid advertising to increase brand awareness.
- The Google Display Network reaches 90% of internet users worldwide.
- 54% of consumers want to see more videos from the brands or companies they are interested in.
- Those who watch a video ad say they pay more attention than they should read or listen to it (they tend to do other tasks while listening to podcasts).
- Millennials are the ones who most prefer brands to offer video content.
- Video advertising spends estimated to show an annual growth rate of 4.9% between 2020 and 2024.
- The types of videos most frequently created are explanatory (72%), presentation (49%), testimonial (48%), sales (42%), and advertising (42%).
What do you think of these marketing statistics? Indeed there has been more than one surprise! No wonder: trends are constantly changing and are the key to a successful digital marketing strategy. Which one has surprised you the most? Are there any results that you had anticipated? I would love to read your opinion in the comments!